[My son] always has to have a book for "independent reading" in his English class. He's run out of ideas for what to read next. He's finished the entire Percy Jackson series, the Egyptian Rick Riordan series, the Hunger Games series, the Fablehaven series, and the Gregor series. Would you happen to have any ideas of what to read next for a 14 year old boy who read and liked the above books? Any suggestions you have would be great!!
"My pleasure!" I said, and responded with this list of books:
- The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex (This one has never failed in my experience. It's set in the future, after the aliens took over our planet.)
- I, Q: Independence Hall by Roland Smith (and it's sequel. Very quick paced action/mystery books, similar to Percy Jackson in that way and that it's a male narrator)
- The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Tiny little warrior men with Scottish accents help to defeat the evil fairy queen. I particularly love this one on audiobook, if you have a car trip coming up.)
- The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (Dystopian sci fi, a la hunger games)
- Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (Fantasy with cool science based magic systems)
- The Year We Disappeared by Busby and Busby (nonfiction about a cop who gets shot and what the aftermath was like for his teenage kids.)
How about you? Have you read any of the above? What books would you recommend to a 14 year old boy?