This book was totally awesome! I'm glad Jacob challenged me to read it.
Okay, so the Hero Epic happened a thousand years ago. Now, the world needs to be saved from its former hero. The book is an awesome mix of a heist novel and a fantasy novel. Vin is our leading lady -- she's got to come into her own and learn how to use her Allomancy. Kelsier is our leading man and he has a serious grudge against the Lord Ruler. It doesn't help that the majority of the people are completely repressed and beaten down. So. How are they and the rest of their crew going to overthrow the Final Empire?
- Really cool magic system (which actually, mostly, obeys natural laws)!
- Not a Hero Epic (hooray for originality)!
- Quite funny indeed (see Cool Quote of the Moment archive)!
- Had surprises I didn't guess (but that were totally plausible)!
- Had a bit of romance (you know I'm a sucker for romance).
Also, just in case you didn't know, Brandon Sanderson is the Chosen One. That's right. He will be finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Fortunately for us, he has already finished the Mistborn trilogy.
This one is recommended for adults, and some teens too. There is quite a bit of violence in it, and some minor cursing, as well as some major family issues. I'd put it on an appropriateness level with Ender's Game.